Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Yes I know it's been a while.....AGAIN!

Hello All! I haven't posted a blog for a while now, due to stress, time constraints, and other irritating factors. Since then I have seen several films, although none are recent releases. I saw Sholay, which apart from the long drawn out fight scenes, with plenty of "dschoom, dschoom" to go around, was wonderful. Hema Malini was sweet enough, but I was more drawn to Jaya Bachchan's nee Bhaduri's character, the young widow. Sanjeev Kumar and Amjad Khan acted the excop and villian to a tee. But naturally the comedic and dramatic duo of Dharmendra and Amitabh Bachchan stole the show! My favorite song of the whole movie had to be Yeh Dosti Ham Nahin.



I also watched Dilwale Dulhaniye Le Jayenge and although this was my second time watching it, I loved it even more! Kajol is one of my favorite bollywood actresses and she was too cute in this film. I loved ALL the songs especially Mehndi Laga Ke Rakhna, cause I'm a sucker for boy vs. girl dances, LOL!



And then, just this Saturday, I watched Provoked with Naveen Andrews, Miranda Richardson, Robbie Coltrane and of course Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan. For the first time, apart from Devdas, I really connected to Ash in this role. I felt like she really became one with the character of Kiranjit Ahluwalia and Naveen Andrews was completely the guy you wanted to hate. Check the trailer below if you haven't seen it and check out the film at your local Indian Store, Blockbuster or whatever movie rental service you use.



If you guys all think that all I do is watch movies all my life you are mistaken, I actually just finished reading two books by the author Jean Sasson, Princess and Princess Sultana's Daughters. Since finishing these two books, I have become SO MUCH more thankful for the freedoms that I enjoy everyday. Princess, begins telling the story of Sultana during her childhood. It is very important to note that Sultana nor are any of the other names of people she knows and family members are their real names, because of the fact that if it ever came to be known, who opened up and told about the secret life of the Saudi royalty, the people, and most importantly about the lives of women, her life would most certainly be ended by death. She is the youngest of ten girls, by ONE of her father's four wives, and was always head strong and in search of why things were the way they were. As was foretold, she became an enigma to herself and those around her. Her story is continued and that of her children is told in Princess Sultana's Daughters. I am looking forward to reading the third book in this trilogy, Princess Sultana's Circle. However, I must warn, that although these books are uplifting, they contain tales of horrible acts, largely of sexual and physical abuse towards women. This is not a book for those under 14. I would encourage men to read this series as well, to perhaps gain more insight into the female mind and more interestingly perhaps, the female mind under a veil in Saudi Arabia.

For your convenience, I have provided links to amazon.com for both of these books, please click on the title you are interested in to find out more.
Princess
Princess Sultana's Daughters

I am currently reading Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks, and it is turning out to be quite a fascinating read. But I will save a full report for when I have completely finished the book.

Till next time, much love and I hope for more readers of my blog!
-Elizabeth


Stumble It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz, I remember my childhood days when Sholay was released for the first time. Just can't describe what impact it had over the Indian film audience in those days. You should try to read may be Wikipedia entry for Sholay to know the kind of euphoria it had succeeded in generating in those days. It took several years for the Hindi cine goers to fully come out of the sway Gabbar Singh, Thakur Baldev Singh, Jay-Viru, Basanti and Surma-Bhopali had over their minds. It was also the first time that the audio track (audio cassettes and old time disks in those days) of any Hindi movie was released for the public domain. The ensuing result: Sholay's each and every dialog became a household asset for years to come. Everyone would have its lines and even the back score fully remembered, and the characters and lingo of the movie became a folklore and part of the daily Indian life.

And yeah, I was 6 or 7 when I first watched Sholay in those days with a group of elders, and spent the next several days in sheer fear and depression, due to the kind of impact Gabbar and his killing of Thakur's clan, including his small grandkid had over my mind. It was only after entering my adulthood, that I began appreciating the movie's grandeur in the real sense!